Monday, November 14, 2011

Religion playing a major role

Through the play, The Escape: or a Leap for Freedom I've came to realize, that I left out a major theme, in the other blog that I wrote. That theme being, religion.

In the story, Mrs. Gaines is a believer in her faith of Christianity, and one can tell when she speaks to Rev. Mr. Pinchen about his experience as a minister. However, I believe that she was contradicting herself a lot when she talked about religion. One minute Mrs. Gaines would praise God, but then she would treat her slaves like dogs. When Mrs. Gaines and Mr. Pinchen are talking at the table, Hannah (the slave) is trying to clear the table as she is also hearing their conversation, and when Mrs. Gaines notices it, she tells her, that she will whip her well for doing such a thing, and then continues to say, "do go on, brother Pinchen, with your godly conversation. It is so sweet! It draws me nearer and nearer to the Lord's side" (13, Brown). I found it very ironic that she would just tell her slave that she will whip her later and beat her, but then turns away and wants to continue to talk about religion. Then later, Hannah asks Mr. Pinchen, "did you see my ole man Ben up dar in hebben", and I would not expect this rev to say this but but he states, "I didn't go amongst the niggers". A very racist and offensive thing to say, especially when Hannah, no matter if she is an enslaved woman, she still has her religion and her beliefs. It is really absurd that even though they are slaves, the whites neglect the fact that they should have a religion at all. It is funny to see how Mrs. Gaines contradicts herself after Mr. Pinchen answers Hannah because she elaborates, "Pinchen didn't go among the blacks...I'll whip you well when I'm done here. I'll skin you from head to foot", then turns to him and says "Do go on with your heavenly conversation...I do love to hear of Christ and Him crucified" (14, Brown). God, was skinned from head to foot, when he was crucified, so it is ironic that Mrs. Gaines is torturing her slaves, just as God was (as said in the Bible) yet, still praising the Christian religion.

No comments:

Post a Comment