Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Created a new thesis- I believe it is a lot better and improved than the last

If you've read my last blog about my thesis, and read my new one- I hope it is a better understanding of what I am going to try and get across in my research paper. I think this one is 10x better.



            Prior to the Civil War taken place, the first play ever written and published by a former slave and abolitionist was created. The Escape; Or, a Leap for Freedom (1858), by William Wells Brown is a work that covers many of the struggles that African Americans faced during the 19th Century. Slavery, racism, sexual violation, and denied marriages are many of the obstacles of hardship that African American slaves faced during their time under the order of their white owners. The play focuses on Melinda, and Cato who are slaves that are under the watch of Dr. Gaines and Glenn, who is the slave of Dr. Gaines’s brother-in-law. Glenn and Melinda who face forbidden love, due to Dr. Gaines’s obsession towards Melinda and hatred against Glenn, creates a battle to keep their marriage united and therefore sneakily decide to escape to the North, in this case- Canada. Cato then renounces to his slave duties as well and follows. Their experience as slaves under white control allows us to understand why African American Slaves during this time started escaping in search of a better life.

1 comment:

  1. I think that this is a great thesis statement! It gives the reader an idea of what your essay will be about, without you just giving a summary of the play. Actually after reading this paragraph it makes me want to read the play! Great job!

    ReplyDelete